Friday, September 17, 2010

Monday the 13th we went around to some of the gardens and did garden checks. Usually this is just a walk through to see if people are gardening, taking care of their plots (weeding and harvesting) and if there is trash in the garden. So far there have been a lot of plots that are pretty weedy--I dunno if people just don't care or if they are worried about pulling up their plants as well. We will be calling these people and letting them know that their plots need to be kept up, for the good of the whole garden. Matt has done most of the calling so far, but I will help when I have a chance to.
Tuesday the 14th was mostly a repeat of Monday, we checked gardens and hung signs that needed hanging. We did have a staff meeting @ 1:30 which was a debrief of FarmWalk 2010! we basically talked about what went well and what might need more volunteers next year. Leslie and Ingrid attempted to eat a bowl of the left over gazpacho soups, but apparently it had begun fermenting in the cooler that it was placed in! So, we dumped both soups out that were in the coolers--rather than risk a dose of bacteria to the stomach. Maybe an ice bath would have been helpful to decrease the spoilage. But we still had some of the ice cream... mmmmm, honey basil goodness!
So after the meeting, Matt and I took the tiller out to United Lutheran church (60th & Hartley) and tilled up the north plot. I placed the compost on the north side of the garden, but Matt said that Amy wanted it on the East... I dunno because the plot is not fully quartered off and we may need to revamp the plans since it appears that the church has changed the layout a bit. We'll check back next week when Amy gets off VayKay and we can figure out the best plan of action.

Wednesday the 15th was a great day to hang signs. First we went to the Indian Center to tackle a couple plots that were severely overgrown. We ended up breaking most of the tools that we brought so in the end we decided to put the weeds back down over the plot and then we would cover it eventually with cardboard and compost to keep the weeds from sprouting too much! While I was weeding I came across an enormous spider (I later found out it was a wolf spider) I guess I've never seen one because I was totally freaked out by it's large hairy body. I took a photo of it and then proceeded to smash it because I had no idea what kind of arachnid it was--can't be riskin' no venom now! After we finished the work we went around to hang signs and install the dry erase marker jars... but after we hit the Oak Lake garden I realized that I left the star bit for the drill at the office and I only had four screws that had a Phillips head... bummer.
But all in all I thought that Wednesday was a fairly productive day and might be a template for the days to come. We have goals and if we work on them a little at a time we will be able to knock out quite a bit.


2 comments:

  1. Y'all need some more 'manly' tools that don't be breakin' so easy from your tuffness. Good times!

    ReplyDelete