Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First Day At Crops!

So, the first day of my new job working at Community Crops was awesome. I am really looking forward to the new way of life that I will be able to live. woot woot!

[The Community Crops Building]
I arrived there a little before 9:00Am. Ingrid showed up moments after I did, she commented on the fact that usually she is the first one there and that for several minutes she is the only one there. I then realized that I had in fact forgotten my bike lock key at my home, doh! Ingrid locked her bike to mine and I was saved--at least for the first hour and a half of my shift.
[My Bike Before Locking Up]

My first order of business was to send in my time sheet from the training session last week. In order to be paid my living wage, in full, I must turn in a time sheet each week. If I'm late I either have all or half of my wage held--depending on how many time sheets I need to turn in. So I'd better be on top of things!
Ingrid then showed me how to log on to the computer, by this time Matt had shown up and we both were learning the sign on for work. I sit in the left desk, and Matt on the right (I don't have a photo yet--but when I get situated then you'll get a pic). Margaret showed up and we all met the office personnel. I really only remembered Leslie's name, but I think that Barb is the recept. Volunteer... I'm so bad with names I'm surprised that I have any one's name at all!
Amy showed up and then we went over the day to day basics of the Gardens--Leslie was writing a grant that was due today so Margaret just learned about Matt and My job--which she can participate in as much as she likes :) Then we took a short tour of the facility, then I was off to class.

I returned upon the hour of One Post Meridian... And it was good.
I got there just as Amy was coming back from lunch, or something... maybe attempting to figure out her cellphone situation (water logged phones don't work). Matt was busy working on something regarding the volunteers and I decided that I'd write down my schedule on the whiteboard. (Again, no pic, but you all must know what a white board looks like) I have figured out that this first semester it will be very difficult to attain forty hours, but I still plan on achieving the same amount of work... which means that when I'm there I'll be a lightning bolt! heh, heh.
We were supposed to go and check out the gardens, but as the day started a bit slow, and with me having class in the middle of the day, we were not able to check out the gardens--but we did get to clean and organize the work shed! I'm sooooooo glad, no really! I like getting organized.


[The Before Photos of The Work Shed]

[The After Photos: Three Hours Later...]

I think that there is still work that needs to be done with the shed, but at least now we can get to everything that we may need. It looked like who ever used it last season just got impatient with finding spots for things and just began setting stuff where there was space. This is going to be a constant battle I suspect--but I think that with a little finesse the place can really shine.
I was really struck with the dust that we were kicking up. I kept sneezing--but I had no tissues! I put some in my bag once I got home, but hopefully the dust is settled for a while :)

Well, that concludes my first day at work. I'm really looking forward to the challenges that come along my way. I think that this job will be so much more rewarding than the ever constant beep of an item's barcode being read by the counter-that-is-too-short-to-be-comfortable's scanner. I will miss the people, but everywhere you go there are people--no sense in forcing yourself into a boring job when you can be around cool people at a fun and exciting job.

Ciao!

H

1 comment: